Sunday, October 17, 2010

Exchanging Motherhood for 25 to Life (a real life story)


I staggered along the edge of sanity in the shower, contemplating how peaceful my life would be in a 6ft by 8 ft jail cell. “Three hots and a cot” I whispered, as my needy family members took turns barging in on my 30 minute vacation. I stood timidly under the shower head, desperately begging for quiet and tranquility to trickle down. Instead of being granted serenity, many different versions of “mom” invaded my ear space. In thirty minutes, the household spiraled downward into a world of chaos and panic. In thirty minutes, I carefully planned the perfect crime and outfit I would wear walking into jail with my head held high. Well maybe not, but in that moment, I was frustrated enough to spin my head 360 degrees; like a mad woman in need of a straight jacket. Since I couldn’t actually act on devilish desires, I had to figure out a way preserve my mental stability and crime-free record.
The struggles of motherhood are not widely publicized but we mothers (and fathers) know how hard it can be taking on the most difficult job known to man. Roles such as psychologist, mediator, chef, maid, doctor, and personal assistant are a part of everyday life, minus the training and pay. So just how do we handle it? The key is self-preservation. It is imperative that we keep ourselves at a high functioning level, which calls for regular maintenance check-ups. These check-ups come in the form of regular doctor visits, trips to the spa, nights out with friends, etc. These activities promote physical, mental, and emotional health. Next, it’s necessary to know your limits. As a parent, it is easy to check into super-hero mode and forget that you are a human being with limitations. As much as your heart desires to be all that you can be plus more, recognize that perfection is impossible. The old adage “it takes a village to raise a child” is absolutely true. Gather up your village of grandparents, mentors, friends, and family because without them, a hard life will definitely be served up on a silver platter.
I decided not to “off” my family. Even though they make me feel loonier than Bugs Bunny on Prozac, I love them dearly. I recognized my fault of forgetting to lock the bathroom door while showering. That was “me” time and for thirty minutes I earned the right to a steamy hot vacation in “Shower Falls.” Whatever happens outside of the shower, for thirty minutes, it’s not my concern. If the family can’t get on board with that, I just may sign up for a lifetime cellmate (just kidding folks.)